Jewelry & Watch Repair

News & Advice

Is Platinum Toxic To Humans?

Is Platinum Toxic To Humans?

Platinum is generally considered to be a biologically inert metal and is not toxic to humans in its pure form. It is not known to cause any significant health problems when it is worn as jewelry or used in other everyday applications.

However, some platinum compounds can be toxic when they are inhaled or ingested. For example, platinum compounds may be used in chemotherapy drugs to treat cancer. They can cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and kidney damage.

Additionally, people who work with platinum in industrial settings may be at risk of exposure to platinum dust or fumes. Which can cause respiratory problems and other health issues. This is why precautions such as wearing protective equipment and working in well-ventilated areas are important when handling platinum or platinum compounds in industrial settings.